wedding ticker

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Monday 9 November 2009

The purpose.

Sitting here feeling pretty crappy. I haven't been well for a while and I thought that if I started to dcoument my health issues and what I try to do about them I might actually get somewhere with the doctors, other than the standard "lose weight, then you'll feel better" (if you are overweight and have ever been to a doctors, you will know exactly what I'm talking about).

Ok, so let's start with the weight. I have 5 stone to lose before I can even see a 'healthy weight' on the horizon. I've tried pretty much everything. The only thing which has remotely worked has been Dr Bernstein's Diet Solution for Diabetes. Much like Atkins, it tightly restricts carbohydrates but is so very hard to stick to. It's also the only thing which has brought my blood sugar into control.
I've tried over and over to lose weight - in fact it was my inability to do so that led me to start the journey with the doctors which eventually led to a diagnosis for diabetes, after I had kept journals of my strict eating and exercise habits for a year, without success. (Even despite the weighing and measuring of food, the medical professionals still did that pitying smile and one sided head nodding thing, followed by "you probably don't realise how much you are eating". How can I not realise? I weigh it, record it, cook it and put it in my mouth don't I? For God's sake - it's not like I don't know anything about nutrition! Grrr.)

Anyway. I keep trying.
My latest attempt is Paul McKenna CDs as I go to bed. It does work in one way. One of the 4 key principles is only eat when you are hungry. Sadly, despite my massive size and contrary to popular opinion, I don't have a huge appetite. So when I listen to the CD, I eat hardly anything, perhaps once a day. This is great for weightloss but really bad for blood glucose (BG) control. So I end up having to monitor my BG and eat something if I really have to.

The boyfriend, as lovely as he is, knows nothing about nutrition or biology. He used to know someone who was diabetic and so claims to know all about it. Yesterday he tried to give me advice, which is very touching, but there, apparently, is only a number of ways to tell someone 'tried that' before they get upset.... In the end I listened carefully and nodded and said simply "thank you". I know he means well.
His prize nuggets yesterday were:
1. Try eating less.
2. Sit ups burn fat from your stomach. The best way to do sit ups is by hooking your feet under your bed and then lifting your body up.
3. Stop going on about food all the time.

Well thanks hun, that's really helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment