wedding ticker

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Monday 3 May 2010

Sunday Scribblings - Event

I've been asked to be Godmother to my nephew. This is a truly wonderful blessing and I'm very happy about it.

The Christening, however, is a different story.

As you know, I've started on this crazy diet this week and to be fair, have lost a ridiculous amount of weight so far. (Which I'm also very happy about, lol!) I have no idea if the weight loss will continue or be sustained or whatever, but it's all good right now.
Inspired by my success in the first week, it seems the world and his dog have decided to start on the Dukan diet too, with a view to being slimmer for the Christening in 4 weeks time.

So in 4 weeks time, I have to stand up in front of a whole room full of people and declare that I will help to bring up the child according to God's law, or something. The thought of having everyone's eyes on me fills me with utter dread. I know it sounds crazy, being a teacher, but that's totally different. Well maybe some of my worries will be alleviated by losing a few pounds over the next month - I'll be able to fit into a decent dress at least. My DearHusbandToBe will be there too and I just want him to be proud of me.
The other thing is that I feel like such a hypocrite. You see, I'm not Christian. I believe in God and try to live my life the right way but I am actually, well, Pagan, I guess. Can I really stand up there and make such a promise?
How many other people enter into such an undertaking without considering such things? Do they so this at Christenings just because it's 'traditional'? As far as I believe, neither of the two parents go to church or even believe in God. Is it the same as the growing number of people who get married in a church because it's traditional and makes pretty photos for the album, rather than because they are avid church goers and want to make a solemn promise to God. Often folks get married in church even though that is the only time that they have stepped foot in one in years.

When I get married, I plan a civil ceremony, making promises only to each other and to those who are there. It would just be a sham to do it any other way. I want my wedding wows to be honest and meaningful for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment